Announcing the 2020 Injury-Free NC Academy Virtual Series: Establishing Syringe Services Programs
The Injury-Free NC Academy on Establishing Syringe Services Programs is offering our first virtual series on how to establish Syringe Services Programs (SSPs) in North Carolina. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have adapted the academy to an online platform.
From May 20 to June 24, we will offer a new virtual session each Wednesday that covers content from our in-person academy sessions. During this period, we will present three live webinars for participants to attend at the same time allowing opportunities for dialogue between participants and speakers.
We hope you’ll join us online for the live sessions on May 20, June 3, and June 17. All other sessions will be recorded and released on the indicated day. Please register in advance for the live sessions.
What is the Injury-Free NC Academy?
The Injury-Free NC (IFNC) Academy is a training and program development resource for injury and violence prevention practitioners in North Carolina. Each cycle of the Injury-Free NC Academy focuses on a timely topic affecting North Carolinians.
Why Syringe Services Programs?
Based on harm reduction philosophy and practice, Syringe Services Programs (SSPs) are evidence-based, compassionate, and cost-effective channels for engaging with people who use drugs (PWUD). These programs can provide education on safer use practices, prevent infections through access to syringes and injection supplies, and reduce overdose deaths. By primarily and nonjudgmentally addressing PWUD’s conditions of use—rather than drug use itself—SSPs foster trust, dialogue, and access to other medical and social services, including substance use disorder treatment.
May 20, 11 am-1 pm (Live webinar)
Laying the Groundwork
- The History & Principles of Harm Reduction
- Evidence for Syringe Services Programs
- Exploring Cultural Humility
Using Data to Monitor the Epidemic in Your Community
- Explore NC Data Sources to Track Trends and Inform Your Work
June 3, 11 am-1 pm (Live webinar)
The Nuts and Bolts of Establishing a Syringe Services Program
- NC Harm Reduction Laws and the Legalization of Syringe Service Programs in NC
- Harm Reduction Advocacy in NC
- Syringe Services Programs Operations
Conducting a Power Analysis
- Map Power Dynamics in Your Community to Build Support for Your SSP
Doing Effective Outreach
- Develop a Strategy to Connect with Potential Program Participants
June 17, 11 am-1 pm (Live webinar)
- How to Become a Registered Syringe Services Program
- Q & A with NC Department of Health and Human Services staff
Creating an Action Plan for Establishing Your Syringe Services Program
- Apply What You’ve Learned & Start Planning to Make Your Syringe Services Program a Reality